In 2007, the New Seven Wonders Foundation started the voting process to select the New Seven Wonders of Nature. The process involved the participation of 220 countries, and 440 attractions were submitted to a vote by the public and experts.
After the campaigns conducted by the participants and thousands of votes, the official list was released on November 11, 2011. After the voting process, members of the foundation visited the chosen destinations and attended the presentations, before the final announcement of the winning locations. Those chosen were:
• Iguazu Falls, in Brazil and Argentina.
• The Amazon, in Brazil, Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guyana, Peru, Suriname and Venezuela.
• Ha Long Bay, in Vietnam.
• Komodo, in Indonesia.
• Jeju Island, in South Korea.
• Table Mountain, in South Africa.
• Puerto Princesa Underground River, in the Philippines.